Saturday, August 4, 2012

Day 3 - Pinning it to Portland

After a wonderful stay on Friday with the  Supreme Trio: Jen, Antonio and the adorable Sofi, I found my way back to the driver’s seat and ultimately back to the road. 
Dodgerella (my ride) and I have opened our hearts to the ongoing assurance that GyPSy (the GPS) gives us at every turn.  The three of us are getting on great.  The trust factor is high and the travel is easy.   Gypsy is kind, considerate, often repeats herself just to make sure I got - thank you, because sometimes I need that.  There are still parts of Gypsy I haven't figured out, like why 2D maps vs 3D maps happen, although when the battery is charging it's always 3D so I just leave her plugged in. 
As I was nearing the outskirts of Washington State, the gorgeous Mr. Moon made his first appearance of the night on the eastern horizon just after dusk like a big yellow honeycomb.  I was in awe, while also trying to keep my eyes on the road.  It’s been two evenings in a row that I’ve been able to catch this spectacle of beauty that only lasts a few minutes until the moon rises into the sky and sheds his honeycomb gold and is replaced by the familiar bright, stark white appearance.  What a treat.  I love roadtrips for these types of moments, the slow surprise of our solar system while hurtling down a freeway. 
Coming across the mighty Columbia River, the natural border between WA and OR, the 70pmh signs become extinct and the recommended 50mph feels like a tortoise crawl.  Thanks to some sound advice from Ed, I kept it close to 50.  The police in OR are generous with their speeding tickets.
Enforcement:  there were many flashing lights on the road this leg, speeders caught and a fender bender but overall happily uneventful and smooth travels.

My hope is to make Sacramento on Day 4 with an early start and a few nice breaks. 

Trippy Facts:
Gas in Powell River was $1.33/liter ($4.32/gal)
US gas prices have ranged from $3.49 to $3.79/gal
Best dinner so far:  tonight with the Supreme Trio – the bar is set!  Thank you for your hospitality and friendship.

2 comments:

  1. So very cool - enjoy your journey - looking fwd to your posts (and seeing miss perception in person).

    M.

    P.S. just got back from my Alaskan trip - Orcas followed the ship for a while - the sun shining on the last day of the journey.....incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike - I hope you took a bunch of pictures, can't wait to see your adventure. Sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete