Saturday, August 18, 2012

Day 17 - Alarming Night

We've all heard the question "if a tree falls in the forest and no one hears it, does it still make a sound?
Well I've got one that I can answer with certainty:  "if I smoke detector goes off and there is no one there to hear it, does it still make a sound?" the answer is a resounding "YES".

Deb and I were watching a few amusing videos last night on her Apple TV namely the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britian (this selection chosen specifically for the two MW's).  I absolutely loved the group's  sophiscated irreverence and like all good youtube videos, one leads to another and we were laughing and singing and generally whooping it up.  Denny came home about 30 minutes later and said " did you know there's an alarm going off in your trailer?" 

We raced outside and I could hear it immediately.  I threw open Miss Perception's door, I was certain I smelled gas but it was the smoke detector was going off.  It was all quite disorienting, that alarm is REALLY loud and quite peircing.  After pulling the battery and taking it outside I was kind of rattled.  Denny shut off the gas to pacify my fears.  Deb got a new battery but as soon as it was connected it kept going off.  Hmm maybe this is why the smoke detector didn't have a battery in it when I picked up Miss Perception. Ed had put a new battery in so I was certain it wasn't the battery.  Deb wasn't going to let me sleep in the trailer without a smoke detector but with the gas off and a carbon monoxide alarm and a propane alarm still functioning (and the fact that I grew up in a house with 2 wood stoves and no smoke detectors) I felt like a night without a smoke detector would probably be quite alright. 

After collecting my nerves into a small pile and stuffing them in my back pocket I headed back to the house.  On the way I stopped and hugged Deb and said "Thank you for keeping me calm, will you please come with me on all my trips?"  She just laughed.  I guess I have to put on my big girl panties now and stop having every bump and beep scare me.  I'm like a skiddish cat, it takes a long time to outgrow these things. 

Onto some good news, Ella's all fixed up and tested and her ability to stay cool as a cucumber has been increased so she'll be coming home today.   She's also been washed, I'm sure she feels much better now. 

Denny and I are going on a shopping date today or tomorrow to get a few things for Miss Percpetion, a water pressure regulator, a few sprays, something to get rid of the oxidation, oh and let's not forget a new smoke detector.   Every step is one step closer. 

3 comments:

  1. Be safe, hun!!! I hope it's an easy repair!!!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Denise, a few more items off the list :) I may stop in at the Airstream dealer on my way up through Seattle and see if they can give the little Miss a once-over. I'd feel better to let the experts take a peek under the covers and confirm that everything's good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would be well worth the $$$$!!!!
    HUGS
    D

    ReplyDelete