Thursday, August 2, 2012

Day 1 of the ROMP Tour


Sometimes a plan comes together with preparation
Sometimes a plan comes together in a last minute flurry of madness and rush.
Regardless, a basic plan is together and I’m heading south
Departing Powell River Aug 1, 2012:  6:30pm ferry (Island Sky) out of Saltery Bay.
With my new “home” in Powell River, I get to start every road trip with an extra 5 hours of travel and 2 rides with BC Ferries.  I enjoy the trip to/from Vancouver and I’ve never felt like it’s a chore.  The drive is broken up with ferry rides and the road is a docile single-lane highway that offers a few strategically placed passing lanes in the “straight stretches” along the coast.  If you’re prone to motion sickness the road is one for the front seat and Gravol.  Personally I enjoy the drive … it would be a race car drivers dream. 
 I am grateful to all the people who helped me get on my way
Ian for installing my new 7-pin trailer connector and overcoming a wiring nightmare,
My Mom for last minute hand offs and helps
My friend Corinne who let me stay a night (Wed) with her in the West End
My friend Jen who is letting me stay a night (Thur) with her in Seattle.

So the adventure has begun, surroundings still feel very familiar.
There were a few close calls but all avoided/resolved quickly.
First ferry, I locked my keys in the car BUT thanks to Ian working on my car today I had the spare key with me and in my purse, that could easily have not been the case.
2 speed traps – first one caught the motorcycle that passed me coming off the first ferry, 2nd one had the sedan that passed me.  Tourists…  welcome to the Sunshine Coast where passing lanes mean you can go 80km to pass someone not that you can got 100km to pass people doing 80.  (Experience talking)
1 deer – middle of the highway, attempting some type of sobriety test on the centre line.  I saw her in time, slowed down, she meandered off, all was well.
The West End was closed off due to the fireworks when I got there.  It was hard to find an access point but I still have my parking sticker so I was able to gain access… but parking was another matter.  Eventually I found a parking spot about 7 short blocks from Corinne’s place, quick walk. 
Walked to work, the familiar route I took for the past 4 years.
Said hello to the coffee shop girls at the Blendz at Robson/Seymour and caught up.
Happy smiles from folks at work and catch ups here and there. 

If you’re hoping to stalk me during the next few weeks either check back here
Or get a handful of gas cards and “Follow that Dodge”!
Next stop... Seattle

No comments:

Post a Comment