Sunday, February 17, 2013

ROMP Tour - Say hello to the new Canadian

I used to have a t-shirt that Canadian Girls Kick Ass.  The last couple of days have felt kick-ass to me.

I left Powell River on Friday morning under the cover of darkness, I watched a beautiful sunrise on the first ferry and drank in the lovely scenery that only the Sunshine Coast can provide.  Calm waters meeting shorelines that sprout trees and mountains shrouded in thin wisps of low clouds.  A clear view to the distant mountains (maybe the Knuckleheads) were washed in early sunlight that made the snow glow an almost golden colour until they gleamed bright white with the spot-light of an otherwise hidden sun.  I'm not typically a morning person but I really enjoyed this early view of the coast waking up.

The drive down to Covington, WA was relaxing and beautiful.  The sunshine just kept getting brighter and eventually the sunglasses came out, the car got warm and it felt like summertime.  What a perfect day to play hooky and be on the road, I was delighted.  I made it to the dealership by about 4pm.  Miss Perception was ready to go but unfortunately we couldn't get the electric hitch to work, good news is I learned how to do it manually which I didn't know before... I was a bit worried that there was something wrong with the wiring and maybe the brakes, just a bit of paranoia really but I called Ian who talked me through a few things and got me on my way.  Thank you Ian!  It's all new again but after about 10 minutes I relaxed into the drive and felt like things were ok. 

I made my way to my friend Jen's house.  I was fortunate to spend a wonderful evening and next morning catching up with Jen and playing "Where's my Monster" with Sofia.  Thank you for your hospitality, yummy pizza and beer Antonio.  It was fun to share Miss Perception with Jen and Sofia, thanks for all the love.  Makes it hard to leave. 

Saturday afternoon I headed north for the border, Miss Perception in tow and paperwork in hand the Canadian border was my next stop.  I kept great positive thoughts seeing myself driving into Canada without any problems.  It worked, things went well.  The Border Guard doing the paperwork was surprised at the price and after I paid the Cashier the taxes and headed out he was standing outside the door.  He wanted to see the inside but tried to act like a visual inspection was needed - haha!!  I called him on it and he just smiled as we walked over.  He checked it out, was impressed with it's "form and function and modern interior".  I got in the car and giggled as I came to the sign that showed US (left) Canada (right) and off we went to the right.  Then there was hooting and hollering and "Welcome to Canada!!" for Miss P.

I pulled over and called my Mom, she needed to know that things went smoothly after keeping me in her prayers for the past 2 days.  Thanks Mom!!  Now I was on my way to my friend Theresa's place.  I got my first chance at backing my trailer into a driveway, not great but not bad.  I did sleep inside the house that night.  I was tired and didn't feel like setting up.  Theresa and I went out for dinner and enjoyed a little shopping together as well. 

Sunday morning was relaxing and I spent a while cleaning the inside of Miss Perception, surfaces needed some wiping and once everything was clean and organized I decided to play around with the awning, I've now figured out how to do the awning without a step-ladder.  Great progress. 

Rod was my hero, he fixed the electric hitch in about 3 mintues - loose connector.  He cleaned things up a bit, added a lock washer and presto, all was well.  Another loose screw was manipulated to cooperate on the awning.   


When I was getting ready to head out a chatty little blue jay came to send my off my way along with Theresa, Sarah and Rod.  Thanks for a lovely stay and Theresa, thank you for your generosity - you are amazing. 

Sunday afternoon had me heading into Vancouver.  I will be staying at the Capilano River RV Park for the next 6 days.  I'm in spot #42.  I went for a little walk tonight and there are 2 more Airstream's here.  A new 19' model and another older 25' model that looks somewhat permanent here.  There's quite a few RV's here for the off-season, a jacuzzi, lounge with TV, Laundromat, lots of great washrooms/showers and free WIFI.  I'm quite enjoying myself here.  It's located right underneath the Lions Gate Bridge and I have to say it's quite quiet. 

The shelves are stocked with groceries, there's a Whole Foods just down Marine Drive and there is every restaurant and store you could imagine at Park Royal.  I'm a 10 minute walk from the bus stop and will be off to work in the morning. 

I'm enjoying the conveniences of my new camping experience... this is the life !!
I want to say a great big thank you for everyone's support, kindness and encouragement.  Like anything in life, it's sweeter when shared so I'll be having an open house on Thursday evening after 6:30pm.  If you want to come by for a peek come on over.   (Capilano River RV Park in Vancouver, space 42).

4 comments:

  1. WAHOOOO!!! So have you stopped grinning yet? I'm grinning as I read your story, and so very happy for you and your new babe! We've camped at that campground, very nice by the river. Enjoy enjoy enjoy!!! See you soon! Barb the other rubber tire gypsy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! she's beautiful Juhli! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Barb, no I haven't stopped grinning yet, it's been fantastic. Had 2 sets of visitors last night and it was lovely to sit and have a glass of wine together with them.

    @Nat n Tim, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to see more pics... or better yet, to see her in person! All the best, my friend, enjoy all of your journeys with a bit of Miss Perception ;) xxoo, Corinne

    ReplyDelete